“Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction.” - John C. Crosby (1859-1943)
Since 2012, EACUBO’s Mentoring Program has paired experienced chief business officers with senior managers aspiring to CFO/CBO positions for a year-long formal leadership development program.
This program embodies EACUBO’s mission and core values - and it’s working! Many program participants have gone on to executive leadership positions within higher education.
Goals of the Mentoring Program
- Serve as a key succession-planning tool aimed at ensuring higher education has the right kind and number of diverse financial and administrative leaders to achieve mission success.
- Capitalize on skills and experience of senior members.
How the Mentoring Program Works
- Applications for mentee participation are invited during late spring.
- Submitted applications are reviewed, selections are made and invitations are sent to new mentees.
- Mentors are recruited based on the positions, institution-types, locations and needs of the cohort of mentees.
- Mentees and mentors meet at three in-person full group sessions, including during the EACUBO Annual Meetings (October) and Workshop (March).
- Regular contact between mentee and mentor occurs including monthly phone calls and in-person meetings, if and as logistics allow.
- Coordinators are available to assist anytime.
Interested in sharing your experience with a rising senior business officer? Or, are you interested in participating in this meaningful program? Contact Melody Bianchetto, Vice President for Finance, University of Virginia and Mentoring Program Coordinator.
“Colleagues are a wonderful thing - but mentors, that’s where the real work gets done.” - Junot Diaz (1968-)